Risk of sunburn: the UV Index helps in the assessment of the risk
Finally the temperatures are rising again. So get out in the garden or nature and a bit of sun. This is also important, according to the sun poor months to replenish the Vitamin D stores. But be careful: in case of long stays in the sun a sun threatens to fire. The UV Index can help this risk to better assess.
The spring sun is often underestimated
Temperatures up to 25 degrees: summer is Finally in returns to weather in. According to the sun, poor months, there is hardly anything more beautiful than the garden, of nature, or to refuel in the Café-a bit of sun. It should, however, exercise caution. Just in the spring, the power of the sun is easily underestimated, it’s a sun-fire threatens. And as a result, the risk of developing skin cancer increases. Health experts explain how you can protect yourself.
Adequate supply of the „Sonnenvitamin“
In many countries, Vitamin D may not be possible to cover needs in the Winter.
Therefore, it is in the warmer months, is especially important to get sufficient with the so-called “sun vitamin”.
Too long in the sun to stop, however, can be dangerous, because it can then come to a sunburn. And as a result, the risk of skin cancer increases.
Increased Risk Of Skin Cancer
In the past, many people thought that there is a healthy tan.
But nowadays, you don’t know that that is the case. In the 70s and 80s mass of people relentlessly the sun laid down, are paying the price now by a massive increase of skin cancer.
When roasted complexion it may take longer, up to a sun presence of fire, the risk of skin cancer remains, however.
In addition, frequent sunbathing to premature aging of the skin with wrinkles and pigmentation spots, and the blindfold can lead to inflammation and in the long term cataracts, skin be the consequences.
However, the summer and the sun, can enjoy, provided we know the dangers and protect ourselves appropriately. The German cancer research center (DKFZ) points in a message.
UV-Index for the assessment of the risk of sunburn
The man has rays no early warning system for ultraviolet (UV). To know what type of sun protection measures when necessary, should be based on the UV Index.
This was developed by international expert committees to assess the current exposure to UV due to the sun. All over Germany there are ten stations, which specify the expected daily peak values of the sunburn effective, near-ground UV irradiance.
The Federal office for radiation protection (BfS) published the measurement data and, on the basis of 3-day forecasts for the UV exposure in various regions in Germany.
Interesting for planning vacations: The UV Index has been defined by the world health organization (WHO) and the unit is worldwide. A UV Index of 5 in Germany, means exactly the same as, for example, in Australia, Spain or Sweden.
On the Internet pages of the BfS, it can be for other countries polled. Other institutions, such as, for example, the German weather service, publish the UV Index on the Internet.
According to the DKFZ, the rule of thumb: the higher the UV-Index is valid for assessment of the UV exposure, the faster it can occur in unprotected skin to sunburn and the more important safety precautions are.
“This is a practical guide for planning summer Outdoor activities of all kinds,” says Dr. Susanne Weg-Remers, head of the cancer information service of the DKFZ. “Those who stick to the recommendations, is the best possible protection.”
Recommended Protective Measures
The power of the sun with your dangerous ultra-violet radiation is underestimated by many people. Experts complain in the last few years, an increase of UV-induced skin cancer. He who heeds the following tips, you can enjoy the sun and warmth without remorse:
- You are looking at between eleven and 15, when the UV radiation is at its highest, the shadows or, better yet, spend the lunch time in the house.
- A simple, but secure protection you can achieve with clothing and a head covering.
- Wearing sunglasses prevents eye damage. Make sure 100 % UV protection or UV 400 and a sufficient side protection.
- To avoid pigmentation problems, it is safer to refrain from sun-bathing on cosmetics, perfumes or Deodorants.
- For adults, a sunscreen is recommended with a sun protection factor of at least 20. In addition, UV should have-A and UV-B filters. You don’t save as you RUB it in and repeat it again and again.
- If you have a sensitive skin, you should choose in the height of summer and in southern countries, a high protection factor (50).
- You think when the sky is cloudy to adequate protection from the sun: Up to 90 percent of the dangerous rays penetrate through the clouds.
- Drugs such as blood pressure medicines can have side effects associated with sun light. Talk with your doctor if you are taking medication.
Sunscreen can block Vitamin D formation
Sun cream may reduce the formation of Vitamin D down. According to the National Health Service UK (NHS) form the majority of people, however, enough Vitamin D, if your lower arms, hands or legs are exposed daily for a short period of time in the sun. About ten to fifteen minutes were sufficient. This time period was still low enough to avoid redness and sunburn, when there is no sun cream is used. (ad)